We have arranged another really good season of Saturday evening events again this winter with something offered on most Saturday early evenings. Most events will be free of charge, unless stated otherwise and you do not need to be a member at Lasham to attend.
Non-members are also most welcome. Some dates and talks might change and some are not yet fully arranged but listed below is the current situation. Updated lists will be issued as the season progresses.
Saturday talks will usually commence at 6pm and will be held in the Brown Elephant briefing room at Lasham. Although most of the events are free of charge it is customary that a silver collection is made at the end of each talk for the Lasham Trust or other deserving cause of the speaker’s choosing.
Dinner will be available in the restaurant afterwards. Booking is advisable at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or 01256 384910. The bar is also available to members and visitors at all times.
Hosting team will be Nicki Marchant, Morag Saunders, Debbie Scholey, Chris Gibson, John Delafield and myself. We hope to see you at some of these events.
Lasham Gliding Society’s address is Lasham Airfield, Avenue Road, Basingstoke, GU34 5SS. Telephone 01256 384900
All events are subject to short notice change so if you are travelling a long way please check first to verify that it is still taking place.
- Saturday 26th October– Lasham’s traditional bonfire party. This event is for members and their friends and families only.
- Saturday 2nd Nov – An update by Andrew Blundell on how he founded Vertigo covers and the business success story that it has become. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 9h Nov – A talk by Professor Ian MacAndrew on low speed aerodynamics at high altitude and their use in UAVs. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 16th Nov – Another visit by WW2 veteran Rusty Waughman who will also tell about his role in the Berlin Airlift. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 23rd Nov Rescheduled from last season – A talk by Dave Latimer on the “Glide Britain” promotional activities for our sport that took place across the nation over the last couple of years. This talk had to be cancelled last year because of snow. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 30th Nov – 16:00 hours Lasham Gliding Society Special General Meeting – This is a members only event.
- Saturday 7th Dec – A talk by Tony Fendall entitled “Kronfeld on gliding and soaring”. Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 14th Dec – 1970s themed Lasham Dining in night. Fancy dress optional. More details to follow. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 21st Dec & Saturday 28th Dec – No Lasham event will be organised.
- Wednesday 1st January 2020 – Traditional New Years Day Charity “Fun” Run/Walk/Stagger /swagger around the peri track. Arranged by Marjorie Hobby. Meet at the Clubhouse for an 11:00 AM start. – Visitors welcome but a small charge will go to charity.
- Saturday 4th Jan– We start off the new year evening talks with another talk by retired Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Stickler on historical murders in the 20th Century and before. Paul’s talk was very well attended in previous years and this next episode will focus on the Kray Twins. More info on Paul’s excellent web site: www.historicalmurders.com.
- Saturday 11th Jan – A talk by Neville Cullingford entitled “Blue Skies – the story of the Royal Observer Corps from 1925 to 1945”. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 18th Jan – A talk by Frankie Webb on the life of the famous Farnborough Aerodynamicist, Tillie Shilling. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 25h Jan – A talk by Ben Flewett and Rachel Hine on their exploits among a group of people who rode small “monkey bike” motorcycles across the Andes. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 1st Feb – To be confirmed, the juniors will hold an event on this evening. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 8th Feb – A talk by Colonel (Retd) Jonathan Welch CBE on Improvised Explosive Devices in Afghanistan 2009 to 2012. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 15th Feb – A talk by Air Chief Marshal (Retd) Sir Richard Johns on the Royal Air Force past and present from a personal perspective. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 22rd Feb – A talk by Allan Melmore on UK aviation fuel supply, its history in war and peace. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 29th Feb – BGA Conference this weekend. – A Lasham event is planned for this date and will be notified in due course and visitors will be welcome.
- Saturday 7th March – 16:00hours Lasham Gliding Society Annual General Meeting. This event will be for LGS members only.
- Saturday 14th March – A talk by Artyom Liss entitled “The end of the Media? What’s happened to Journalism, and can we fix It? “. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 21st March –A talk by G Dale on bailing out and also about his recently published books. – Visitors welcome.
- Saturday 31st March – Clocks spring forward on this night. Subject to confirmation we will welcome Alan Meredith – Chief Pilot for the British Antarctic survey for an update on flying in Antarctica. This is subject to Al’s Antarctic duties finishing in time for the talk. – Visitors welcome.
[Please note that this message is not posted on behalf of Bentworth Parish Council and does not necessarily reflect the Parish Council’s policy]
There are no comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.